Shields Class News and Homepage
The Shields Class Governing Board on May 13, 2020 has unanimously adopted a new rules for the Basic Rules Governing Measurements and Inspections and these will go into effect in 60 days if no fleet raises objections.
The new rule requires each Fleet Measurer to inspect and measure Registered Yachts sufficiently to certify, that all Registered Yachts so measured and inspected conform to the Specifications and the mast step location should be measured every two years.
The Shields Class Governing Board on April 14, 2020 has unanimously adopted new rules for the National Regatta and these will go into effect in 60 days if no fleet raises objections.
- Two races minimum required for a National Championship,
- Course lengths can be 3 to 6 miles and if shortened must be 3 legs (two windward) and at least 3 miles,
- Time limit for first leg is 45 minutes, 120 minutes for first finisher with 20 minute finishing window. After finishing window yachts scored two plus number of finishers.
- More guidance is given to the race officer as to maximum winds,
- Prioritize more races up to maximum of eight over 6 mile required courses.
The 56th Shields National Championship Regatta
SEPTEMBER 23 - 26, 2020 - Tred Avon Yacht Club - Oxford, MD
The 55th Shields National Championship Regatta
SEPTEMBER 18 - 22, 2019 - CHICAGO YC - CHICAGO, IL
Congratulations to Tom Hirsh and Tim Dawson of Newport, RI for winning the regatta. Congratulations to Fleet #10, Marion, MA for winning the Fleet Trophy with places of 2nd, 3rd and 4th.
Thank you to the Chicago Yacht Club and Fleet #3 for hosting the regatta.
Special thanks to Karen I. Hirsch Photography for her pictures and video.
Shields Ocean - Great Lakes Challenge Cup
Shields Class Sailing Association and the Monterey Peninsula Yacht Club (Organizing Authority)
April 26 to April 28, 2019
Congratulations to Eric Anderson and his MPYC team sailing Shields 191 for winning the regatta. Pictured are (left to right): Rob Vann, Doug Deppe, Jon Dean, Randy Shore, and Eric Anderson. Lily Robnett (not shown).
Thank you to the hosts and participants for a great regatta.
The next Shields Ocean - Great Lakes Challenge Cup will be in Marion, MA on June 26 to 28, 2020. Please mark your calendar and plan for another great event.