Section Table of Contents
I - Official Class Insignia and Chevrons
II - By Action of the Executive Committee Clarifying Status of Registered Yachts Owned by Institutions
Official Class Insignia and Chevrons
(See Section V Sails - 5.8 and 5.9)
By Action of the Executive Committee Clarifying Status of Registered Yachts Owned by Institutions
To clarify the status of Institutional Fleets, particularly with respect of Association dues, voting and competition in the National Championship Regatta, the Executive Committee hereby rules as follows:
- An institution must pay at least one annual Registered Yacht dues in order to register all of its yachts and be a member of the Association.
- The institution is entitled to cast as many votes at a membership meeting of the Association as the number of dues paid by it.
- Where an institution charters a yacht to a private individual, the charterer is required to pay Registered Yacht and Active membership dues in order to be an Active Member of the Association. Dues paid by the institution do not entitle individual charterers to Association membership and dues paid by the individual charterers are not deemed to be dues paid by the institution for the purpose of its membership in the Association. During the charter term a chartered is deemed by the Association to be owner of the yacht for all purposes.
- Personnel of an active member institution (such as faculty, student, or other having a continuing bona fide relationship with the institution) are deemed to be representative of the institution, not charters, and are not required to pay Registered Yacht dues. However, personnel that regularly serve as helmsman are required to become Active Members and pay the Active Member dues. Those that serve as crew are encouraged to become Associate Members.
- An institution may be a member of a local Fleet upon complying with that Fleet's membership requirements.
- Only an active member institution which is not a member of a Fleet may enter yachts in National Championship Regatta, regardless of the number of dues paid by it, subject to the qualifications and limitations as are set forth by the Regatta Committee. In any case, the Regatta Committee will reserve one boat (two if availability permits) for an institution entry which is not a member of a Fleet. If there is a request for more than one institutional entry, then the National President will assist the Regatta Chairman in choosing that institution that best qualifies.
- If the active member institution is a member of a local Fleet, its personnel may enter the National Championship Regatta by qualifying in that Fleet's sanctioned racing series and by otherwise satisfying the eligibility requirements set forth in Section VI - "Rules Governing the National Championship Regatta" of the Association Rule Book, regardless of the number of dues paid by the institution.
- Where an active member institution is a member of a Fleet, such of its yachts as are normally sailed in the Fleet shall be subject to Section VI of the Association Rule Book, be counted as yachts belonging to that Fleet for the purpose of determining the number of Fleet's eligible entrants in a National Championship Regatta.
- The entry fee for a National Championship Regatta must be paid for each yacht entered regardless of ownership.
- The foregoing in no way limits the rights of any Fleet to establish requirements, including payment of Fleet dues for membership or active participation by an institution or its personnel in the Fleet.
Dated August 31, 1989
/s/ Donald R Tomlin
/s/ Christopher Withers
/s/ Victor Onet